Upgrade your home with
Slate & Tile Roofing
St. Louis slate & tile roofing
Expert slate and tile roofing service for the STL area.
When thinking about curb appeal, it is easy to focus on landscaping, paths, and front doors. But there is one feature with a big impact that is often overlooked: your roof.
Slate and tile roofing are not nearly as common as asphalt shingles, and that means these roofs really stand out in STL and the surrounding areas. It also means that many area roofing companies don’t understand them. Luckily, the IMPACT Roofing slate and tile experts have over 30 years of experience designing, repairing, and maintaining these stunning roofs.
The Benefits of a Slate or Tile Roof
Slate and tile are among the oldest roofing materials used in St. Louis, often found on homes that are centuries old. However, they aren’t reserved for historic buildings; any home can benefit from these roofs. Thanks to technology innovations, these materials are now lighter and thinner than in the past, making them more accessible.
If you don’t already have a slate or tile roof, you might wonder if making the switch is worth it. Let’s take a look at the benefits.
- Unique Look: Slate and tile roofing has a distinct appearance that is noticeable even at a distance.
- Long Lifespan: Slate and tile roofs tend to last longer than your typical asphalt shingles, meaning they aren’t replaced as often.
- Durability: While this can vary based on the type of shingles, both slate and tile are durable in the face of St. Louis weather.
- Fire Resistance: When compared to other roofing materials, slate and tile are much more fire resistant, protecting your home.
Unique Concerns With Slate and Tile Roofs
While beautiful and durable, slate and tile roofs come with unique concerns that can complicate their installation, repair, and maintenance. Some common issues you might encounter include:
- Weight: Slate and tile roofs weigh significantly more per square foot than other roofing materials.
- Installation and Support: Due to this greater weight, they require specialized installation and a customized support system.
- Matching: When individual shingles or tiles need to be replaced, it can be difficult to find a match; this is especially true of slate shingles made from natural materials.
- Fragility: It might seem off for something to be both durable and fragile; however, while slate and tile are strong against the weather, they are weak when people stand on them, complicating repairs.